As stay at home orders are lifted around the U.S., businesses have an obligation to adhere to safety measures and adjust them based on changing guidelines and COVID-19 transmission in their communities.
If you are an employee returning to work during this time, your employer must abide by protocols published by the CDC to keep you and your fellow employees safe. The following questions will help you evaluate your workplace for overall safety as well as its compliance with government guidelines.
Are Safety Protocols in Place?
To be in compliance with CDC protocols, your employer should implement the following recommendations:
- Encourage handwashing and provide hand sanitizer if necessary
- Enforce social distancing of 6 feet or more during work or on breaks
- Restrict the use of any shared items and spaces
- Increase cleaning and sanitization efforts
- Provide suitable ventilation
- Cancel all non-essential travel
- Require the use of personal protective equipment if mandated by local government
- Facilitate training on current safety protocol
Are You Being Screened and Monitored for COVID-19?
Your employer should also take precautions to screen and monitor employees for signs of COVID-19. The following guidelines help keep employees safe and informed:
- Implement procedures to check for signs and symptoms of COVID-19
- Encourage any employee who is sick to stay home
- Communicate with employees about safety measures and questions/concerns
- Monitor employee absences and provide flexible leave policies
- Consult with local health authorities in the event of an outbreak or increased COVID-19 cases in the area
Are Your Interactions with Third Parties Being Monitored?
Your employer is obligated to not only address safety concerns for their own employees but consider the safety of third-party visitors as well. Third-party vendors, as well as any other visitors, should be aware of your company’s COVID-19 policies and follow them while in the facility.
Employers are currently tasked with taking measures to reduce transmission among employees, foster a healthy work environment, and maintain safe business operations. If you are concerned that your employer is not taking precautions to ensure your health and safety, please contact Gokal Law at 949-753-9100.
Gokal Law Group is a family firm that treats our clients as if they were our own flesh and blood. We fight for our clients as we would our own children, sisters, brothers, and parents. We are our clients’ Warriors, fighting to bring them justice and right the wrongs they have endured.
Each attorney has a specific practice area for which they are tried, tested, and battle-ready. Each has vast years of experience in their practice area, providing them the knowledge, skills, and vision to fight and win. Learn more about Gokal Law Group.